Tuesday 28 April 2015

What A Year


Hello everyone! Sorry it's been so long since my last blog post but this past year hasn't been a good one health-wise. Here's what's been going on.

After being in remission for 9 months, and loving it!, my health started on a downward spiral. In March 2014 I decided to try Champix to help quit smoking. Of course there are possible symptoms and side effects that can occur with any medication, including this one. Nausea and vomiting were pretty much at the top of the list. At this time I was in a 9 month remission stint and loving it! After being on Champix for only a week the nausea and vomiting started so I quit taking it. A few days later I was going through a gastroparesis episode. I ended up in hospital for 34 days because of it.

I was home for 3 weeks and started to notice my left arm, which had a pic line in it, was swelling up so I went to emerge and sure enough a blood clot (DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis) had formed  from my picc line. I was put on Warfarin, which didn't work too well because it interacted with my medical marijuana so I was put on Xarelto for the blood clot. Through the next 3-4 months I was in and out of the hospital due to GP episodes. Due to all the nausea and vomiting my body wasn't digesting or absorbing the oral medications so when I had another ultrasound done to see if the clot was gone 4 months later it wasn't. I was then switched to Tinzaparin, which is an injectable blood thinner for blood clots and this way I knew for sure that I'd be getting the proper doses of the meds.




In 13 months I have had two blood clots (DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis) in both arms due to picc lines, I had a cyst burst on my ovary, I had a blood infection so I was on IV antibiotics at home for that, I have recently gotten the super bug VRE (Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci) for the second time over the last 2 years. I also had a feeding tube placed in my abdomen right next to my stomach pacemaker, which had to be replaced a couple weeks later because it was in the wrong spot on my small intestine. A few months later the tube came out about 6 inches so I had to go get it changed and replaced again. I had a Botox injection into my pyloric valve to help settle it down which in turn helps alleviate the nausea and vomiting and then helps lesson the pain. I have had a few attempts at getting new picc lines put in but my veins are so small and brittle from being so sick that after I loose this current one, which I've had for 10 months now, I'll no longer be able to get picc lines put in. My veins have moved and changed directions and are so small they seem to hide when we're trying to get new lines. Once it's gone I'll be getting a permanent port of some sorts. I'd honestly rather get that done sooner rather then later because picc lines have a bit more risk of infection then a port especially when I'm accessing it at home to give my meds. All my medications go through my picc line or my PGJ tube, no oral medications as pills just end up sitting in my stomach without being absorbed or digested. I've taken pills in the morning then gotten sick that night or the next day and the pills come up looking like I hadn't even taken any. I am only tolerating clear fluids so I live off of water and tea and I drink 6 boost juices a day to give me some energy and nutrients throughout the day, then I do nocturnal feeds every night. In this year I also had to have surgery to replace the battery in my gastric pacemaker. That was a little painful but only for a few days so can't really complain about that!


After all the health issues that have come my way in just this last year I am more determined then ever to get back up and beat this Gastroparesis and not let it take over my life or define me! I am so sick of being sick all the time. I haven't eaten a solid meal since March 20, 2014 and I can't wait to get back to the point where I can once again and I will because I am NOT giving up! In the 8+ years I've had GP this has to be the worst year thus far. BUT I am positively looking up and onward!

Happy Tummy Days Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment