Friday 5 July 2013

Yet Another But Fairly Good Hospital Stay

After being in the hospital for four and a half months I was able to stay home to stay home for a month and a half with very little symptoms, only a little nausea that was tolerable and bloating of course. I had a few days of emotional stress along with quite a bit of physical work which put a lot on my nerves causing or at least contributing to another hospital stay. Other factors could have been blood sugars, they were bouncing up and down just like and almost as fast as a bouncy ball and/or it could have something I ate as I was adding new foods into my diet at that time. A frustrating part about having diabetic GP is there usually is more then one factor as to why I get a flare-up. On a Thrusday evening I started to get sick. Once the vomiting continued and the pain started I went to the ER.

The entire hospital visit went Very well! First of all there were no line ups in the ER when I got there so I got in right away, it could have been because it was 5:30 am. Incredibly they got an IV on me fairly soon, the second person trying got it quickly. I got IV fluids, zofran, gravol, and buscopan all through the IV and I got morphine subqutaniously (it lasts longer then getting it through the IV) I spent a day in emerge then I was admitted on to the medicine ward. Soon after my endocrinologist, who has a lot of pull in this hospital that I've gone to for the majority of my GP "life", heard I was in hospital and came to see me right away. I told her that I needed a couple things changed to my medications so she went and talked to my admitting doctor and got things changed, pain meds more frequently, she changed my novo rapid insulin to humalog that has helped stabalize my blood sugars a little, and something to help me sleep because I hadn't slept in  2 days so she gave me a strong sleeping medication that really helped me get rest.

With getting in quick to the ER and getting medications fairly fast then having my endocrinologist step in, like she usually does especially if I ask her due to having issues with other doctors which is mostly about medication complications. Having eveything go very smoothly and quickly contributed to my stay being a "short" one of 6 days. My average for each flare-up or bad episode is 10-12 days so I can handle 6 days :) I was able to keep things down clear fluids after 2 days. Thats amazaing considering my last episode was 3 weeks before I could keep anything down. By the 4th day I was feeling good, going for walks, moving around lots and the morning of the 6th day I was discharged. Of course I was not happy to be in there but because I was, things could not have gone bette

I have been home for 2 days now and I am on a clear fluid diet with ensures at every meal. I've had energy and today I went walking and shopping for 3 hours and that felt real good physically! I have had nausea in the mornings but I tend to have rough mornings so thats normal. The nausea hasn't been too bad so it's tolerable which allows me to be able to get things done around home if needed. Overall things are good and I am feeling good so I can't complain abiut anything!

I hope everyone readsing this is having a Great day especially health-wise! Happy tummy day to my fellow GPers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment