Sunday 10 March 2013

It's been a long 63 day hospital stay

This stay has been my longest in the 6 years I've had GP. I believe part of the reason it's been so long is because I was healthy for 15 months prior to getting sick. From reading a lot of other GP''ers stories, I've noticed that after being healthy for a long time and then getting sick for the first time it comes back with a vengeance ...unfortunately! Thankfully I've had really good doctors that are giving me everything I need, keeping me comfortable, and doing everything they can to help.

This stay for me has been a tough one. More so on my mental state than anything. Don't get me wrong it's been tough one looking at every aspect but, emotionally, yes! I've realized for the first time that I have pretty bad anxiety issues that I really need to learn to cope with, especially while going through bad episodes. So I am now doing research on coping skills and techniques plus I am starting to talk to a counsellor about this anxiety of mine. It will only help my situation when I am having GP flare-up. One thing I think everybody should do , no matter the health situation, is talk to a therapist. It really makes a difference on ones mental state.

This 63+ day episode has been different then any I've experienced before. I keep having set backs without even making it home. Usually I can get home for a bit and then have a set back and end up back in. I was getting sick off of pretzels which is weird for me. All I've been able to handle pretty much this entire time is a clear fluid diet. Now I'm tolerating diary, cremed soups, ensure and a few soda crackers a day. I am also eating jello, popsicles, pudding, apple sauce, and ice creme. I've lost 20 pounds in this 2 months of being sick. I was on TPN for a week but went off of it because it was cauing severely high blood sugars that wouldn't come down. I gained a few pounds back while on TPN, so that was good!

Through this whole episode, and even while struggling a little mentally, I 've still tried to keep a positive mindset. My #1 rule while living with diabetic gastroparesis is to be and stay positive!!

Happy tummy day evryone! :)

1 comment:

  1. You should ask the doctor for something for anxiety. That can raise your blood pressure and make you feel miserable too. I have to take anxiety medication and I talk to someone on a regular basis. If I didn't, I would have constant panic attacks. I hope that you feel better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete